Saturday 30 November 2019

Week 39 - Deal or no deal?

Reg and my journey since August would be easier told by copying vet bills than by narrative account. It started with him itching  his neck on the door, moved on to scoping and skin conditions the only high point of which was my promotion to "Head of Bio Security" on the Yard. I am pretty sure Seamus* meant it as a passing joke but I got myself a hat and overalls really quickly so that however intended he couldn't easily revoke the (voluntary) appointment. The next four weeks consisted of me walking around in overalls looking purposeful and stinking to high heaven of disinfectant.

Whatever was on Reggie's skin went incognito. Every swab showed up clear for bacteria or fungus. Maybe the hair was just leaving home because it didn't want to be associated with a whirlwind in blue overalls, a self-branded cap, a surplus of disinfectant and an over inflated ego? You couldn't blame the hair, I mean I would leave myself sometimes if that were possible.

As the shit storm of scabs and swabs was passing and before we even stepped out into the sun for air, someone rang the bell for round 3. A sort of intervention from the Universe in which she (the Universe) said "Oh, did I give that big brown and white horse a dose of unnamed skin problems? Thought so, but that was the wrong order. I meant to write him up for a rapid and extreme change in behaviour that includes pounding away from the block, dumping his rider on the concrete and learning to can can with front and hind legs simultaneously. Could someone make sure he gets that order please?"

Get it he did.

Another spell in Breadstone (horse hospital) and cortisol injection to C6 and C7 (arthritic joints in the neck) broke the round of things that come in threes. I've had two of those myself. His recovery was not as seamless as mine, he came home with spasms in his pectoral muscles and chest which, defying all explanation, we've spent a week experimenting with and google doctoring. Apart from the physical manifestation of the spasms themselves we were treated to numerous renditions of the can can which he would only perform on rare occasions, generally when no one else was there to see them leaving me (and some others) to wonder whether I was imagining it.

The Intelligent Horsemanship Community, our own equine community, the vet and others all pitched their wits at what it might be. The diagnosis was "that looks pretty strange, I've never seen that before, I wonder what it might be?".

To cut a very long story short..... Google Doctoring led me to believe we might be looking at something degenerative. So, I did all the mental preparation I would need to do for that, faced the Universe head on and told her "whatever you've dealt us this time I am not playing any more roulette. This horse is staying and if we have to content ourselves (he and I) with pootling about and me taking him for a walk on the lead like a dog then so be it, that's how it's gonna be". I started making the necessary mental adjustments which included practical adjustments to plans. Lisa and I are planning to make our way across Wales and back in May and she agreed she'd accompany regardless of whether Reggie and I were on his feet and my feet.

Two days ago I was nattering to Seamus. Lauren had noticed that the spasms were triggered by light touch. Seamus asked (note not told) whether I'd considered it might be possible that his skin had just got into it's head that we might be going to assault it (again) and gently suggested I grapple with the can canning back legs and wrestle the rug on to see what happened. It was an easier experiment than walking the big hills (Reggie on a lead like a dog) and it couldn't hurt right?

Two days later I've ridden him twice, he's back in his rug there have been no signs of spasms and Seamus has had the wiseness and generosity not to say "I told you so".

Reggie 30/11/19

We aint out of the woods yet. He's weak and tired and our hack out today would have gone faster had I walked him like a dog and not ridden him like a horse BUT the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brighter than it was and today I have the courage to hope we have more ridden years ahead than I have hoped for for a fortnight.

Reggie 30/11/19

Lisa - see you in Wales in May.
Penny - see you on the hills again soon.
Universe - the answer to your question is "NO DEAL"
Seamus, the IH Community and the Yard Community - thank you - everyone loves a story with a happy ending eh?

* Seamus and Amy own Lakeview where we are liveried.

No comments:

Post a Comment