Thursday 21 March 2019

Month 1 - Reggie and me

I didn't think I (we) were coming back to blog.

I thought blogging was done.

However a very kind friend suggested that Reggie (new horse) may have needed to create a dramatic entrance to the start of our partnership to grab a bit of limelight. If the big fella needs to be offered a space this blog means I am making it for him. He's not been well. If I didn't come back and conjure a talisman I wouldn't be doing my best... so ..... we are blogging, in the hope that conjuring a charm conjures full recovery.

To summarise:

I met Reggie in what can only be described as a cross between internet and speed dating. Gidi found a video of him on line, copied it to me, advised "this is your horse" go go go.

Kathy and Lisa 1 (Mila's mums) got right behind Gidi and before I knew it the biggest horse I have ever sat on was coming home with me.

"What has he done" and "what are you going to do with him" are favourite equestrian questions. The answers are "he's been really loved" and "I am gonna love him".

Reggie came home on 22nd February. He had his teeth done on 1st March and by 9th March things were pear shaped. The emergency Vet came that night. By Monday 11th Reggie was a statue, running a temperature of 43.6. Totally immobile and not eating.

Many vet visits and huge doses of antibiotics later the lovely heffalump, usually full of life and energy, was very poorly.

Reggie was admitted to hospital on 17th March sporting an abcess the size of two tennis balls and an occluded (blocked) jugular vein.I held my breath that day.

Today 21 March I exhaled for the first time.

So much has happened in such a small space of time. It's history.

Today I went to visit the boy and he was so himself I was almost scared to let him in. He was having none of that. "here I am new human, lets go go go". He's getting better.He is better. He might be home on Monday or thereabouts.

Here's what this journey with the new boy has taught / gifted me:

The hospital team were stunning. It's easier to get a horse admitted to hospital than a person because they show you what's up, explain everything and include you even when its hard to hear. His medical team left me feeling I have missed my vocation.

The community of people around us is generous, gifted and talented and I have been assaulted by good wishes and support. I feel so lucky for that, it's a very recent thing in my life.

Connection serves us. Lisa G (Reggie's old owner) loves him to bits and has been there for us every step of the way. How could I have done without her? I don't have the history she does. She's proved to be a rock and it's amazing how fast "contact" turns to 'friend" when you are fighting the same battle. She showed up to see him today and boosted his recovery no end.

"Acts of love" may seem small but are in fact transformational. When I couldn't get to the horse hospital Steve and Lauren went in my place. They connected me virtually to my new friend but more than that they turned him from "new horse" into family. For Steve particularly it wasn't because he loves horses but because he loves me.


Dear Reggie.... it's not been the easiest of starts for either of us. You've come, like all other equine friends, to teach me something. My goodness you've been fast off the blocks.

I am so looking forward to our life together. When you are 21 I will be 70. I think we best start getting used to a hydraulic lift. You are coming home and then going no where but with me and vice versa.

Thanks to everyone whose supported us over the last few weeks.

We'll be back with some adventures soon, just not hospital related.

Judith and Reggie. xxxx



1 comment:

  1. Here's Judith and Reggie!!!! What a rollercoaster!!! So many highs and so many lows,

    Think about the team building theory of forming, storming, norming and performing... lots hope you both can get to the latter two really bloody soon!!! X x

    ReplyDelete